We Will Intimidate Boko Haram, Says FG
The Federal Government on Friday boasted that rather than being frightened by the destructive activities of Boko Haram, it will intimidate the deadly sect
The Coordinator of the National Information Centre for the ongoing war against insurgents, Mr. Mike Omeri, told journalists during a briefing in Abuja that the government would not be distracted in its drive to bring back the over 200 schoolgirls abducted in Chibok, Borno State by the sect.
Omeri urged Nigerians to support the Army, adding that the government was making steady progress in its fight against the terrorists.
He said, “We are working here as citizens of Nigeria to further our collective national interest. Therefore, we will not be distracted or be intimidated; rather, we will intimidate the enemy with our collective energy, interest and capacity.
“The security services deserve our support. Now they are making steady progress and we are sure that whoever is holding our children will soon be defeated.”
Omeri said the international outreach had helped consolidate regional and global support for the rescue of the abducted girls.
He said, “You will recall that we mentioned that Nigeria has made a request to the UN for sanctions to be declared against Boko Haram. That was successful as the council voted unanimously to affirm Nigeria’s position on defeating the sect.
“To further secure Africa’s support and understanding, Mr. President will be visiting South Africa this weekend where he hopes to meet his counterparts from other countries of Africa. The visit is with a view to discussing and achieving a holistic approach to address the issue of terrorism in the continent.”
On the report of a purported mutiny by soldiers at the Maimalari Barracks on Thursday, the spokesperson for the Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said the story was false.
He said, “Checks and investigations have found that to be totally false and untrue. No soldier was involved in any incident in the Maimalari Barracks yesterday (Thursday). Rather some residents of the barracks complained about the transport facilities and it was treated immediately. So, all other embellishments are wishful thinking.
“Again there was no protest by any soldier in the barracks yesterday. On the issue of allowance, no soldier protested and I want to make it clear that soldiers are not being owed and allowances for the month of May have even been paid.”
Meanwhile, the Presidential Fact-finding Committee on the Abduction of the Chibok Schoolgirls on Friday said it had made substantial progress in its assignment.
The committee’s spokesman, Kingsley Osadolor, disclosed this in a statement made available to journalists in Abuja.
Although Osadolor did not disclose details of the committee’s findings so far, he admitted that the committee members who are currently in Maiduguri, Borno State have not concluded their assignment.
He said, “I would like to inform you that the committee has made substantial progress in its assignment. It has received the cooperation of the various stakeholders the committee has interacted with.
“However, the work of the committee is not finished. The committee will visit Chibok, and you will be informed accordingly.”
Osadolor said members interfaced with members of the Borno Elders Forum as well as representatives of the Chibok community on Friday.
He recalled that the committee was also briefed by the District Head of Chibok, Zannah Mai Chibok, on Wednesday.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org