We’ll Rescue Chibok Girls Before May 29 Handover Date- Presidency
Posted On Apr 15, 2015
The Nigerian presidency has assured that the over 200 schoolgirls abducted from Chibok in Borno state 365 days ago will be rescued before the May 29 handover date. Speaking on the anniversary of the abduction of the girls, the National Security Adviser (NSA) Col. Sambo Dasuki gave the assurance today that the Federal Government was making every effort to ensure that the girls along with every other Nigerian abducted by Boko Haram terrorists are rescued.
Dasuki also promised that Sambisa Forest, the fortress of Boko Haram terrorists and one of their last remaining camps will be stormed and liberated before the May 29, 2015 presidential hand-over date. “Right now, all Boko Haram camps except Sambisa Forest has been destroyed,” the NSA said.
According to him, the forest would have since been liberated but for the unfavourable weather condition prevailing in the area as every needed reconnaissance activity and necessary deployment of troops have since been concluded for the exercise.
“Every movement of the terrorists are being monitored and every necessary detail is being taken care of to rid the country of the last bastion of terrorists’ infestation”, Sambo Dasuki disclosed.
He insisted that government is concerned about the welfare of every single Nigerian including the girls adding “aside the Chibok girls, other Nigerian girls, boys, men and women were abducted by the terrorists and all efforts are being made to rescue them all.”
While appealing for a little more time to complete the routing of terrorists, Dasuki recalled that before elections were postponed in February, over 20 local governments were occupied by Boko Haram and that most Nigerians were pleasantly surprised that so much was achieved against insurgency within six weeks.
While commending President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan on the successful conduct of the 2015 round of elections, the security adviser however, noted that nobody pressured the President into conceding defeat in the presidential election.
“President Jonathan had already given his words to all the security and service chiefs before the election that he would abide by the decision of Nigerians. At the meeting, he also told them to perform their duties professionally during the polls.
“While we anticipated that he would congratulate his opponent if the result is announced in form of opposition candidate, he gratiuouly without prompting of anyone to concede defeat.
“By that singular gesture he had saved the security agencies and the nation of unnecessary tension and stress in maintaining law and order and curtailing excesses of likely protesters.”
While commending the fairness of media in the coverage of elections, he nevertheless urged them to be conscious of malicious reports being sponsored by vested interest. He denied a report that he was at any polling booth during the last gubernatorial election and was never involved in meeting with judicial officers to truncate any democratic process.
Immediately after the postponement of elections in February this year, Sambo Dasuki has assured Nigerians and international community that all known terrorists’ camps would be destroyed while most of the occupied communities under Boko Haram in three states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe would be liberated to allow for peaceful conduct of and collection of more voters cards by the electorates.
He had said: “All known Boko Haram camps will be taken out. They won’t be there. They will be dismantled. In addition to the acquisition of more sophoisticated armaments and training of our troops in guerrilla warfare the new military co-operation agreed to between Nigeria and its neighbours will prove decisive against Boko Haram.”