WAEC Boss Says Governor Shettima Caused Kidnap of Chibok School Girls
Head of National Office of the West African Examinations Coucil,WAEC Mr. Charles Eguridu has accused the governor of Borno State of causing the unfortunate incidence of the kidnap of over 200 girls from government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State.
Eguridu stated this on Friday night in Abuja while answering questions from several women including the first lady, Patience Jonathan, wives of state governors, female legislators at federal and state levels, and leaders of various women organizations.
The WAEC boss said they had declined to conduct the Senior School Certificate Examination in unsafe parts of Borno, including Chibok, because it was worried about the safety of students as a result of the poor security situation in Borno, but that Kashim Shettima, assured of adequate security measures.
“Following the previous experience, we were afraid to go to the North-East this year, yet we risked it and asked for extra security through the Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike,” the official said. “We also asked the various state governments to relocate all the centres to the state capitals where there would be adequate security.”
“The three Governors did not respond to our request but instead, said they had made adequate security arrangements. The Borno state government also refused to relocate the students from Chibok to safer places like Maiduguri,” Mr. Eguridu told the women on Friday.
The WAEC official reportedly tendered the letters written to the governors of Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe to prove his claim.
He also told the women that another thing that influenced WAEC’s decision to ask that all centres be moved to the state capitals was the death of three of its staff while conducting a similar examination in a school along the Yola-Maiduguri road, last year.
Schools in Borno had been shut following the various attacks by the Boko Haram.
It was reported earlier that the state government, in a bid to ensure its students do not miss the SSCE examinations, asked final year secondary school students to resume.
The Borno governor, who initially declined transferring the final year students from centres in remote areas like Chibok to the state capital, finally agreed to that after the kidnap, Mr. Eguridu said.
“Borno state government only agreed to relocate the remaining 189 pupils after the abduction of the Girls,” he said.
Mr. Eguridu provided the bio data, including photographs of all the students that registered at the Chibok centre.
He said: “Overall, 530 students registered for WAEC at the Chibok centre, 135 males and 395 girls,” the official said.
The Borno Government is yet to react to WAEC’s claim. The Borno Education Commissioner, Musa Inuwa Kubo, did not pick or return calls made to his phone and was yet to reply to an sms enquiry as at the time of this report.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to email@example.com