Vital Documents in Court Case Challenging Jonathan’s Eligibility for 2015 Election Stolen
A Lawyer involved in the prosecution of a case challenging President Goodluck Jonathan’s eligibility in next year’s election, Wahab Olatoye, has said the vital documents needed to prosecute the case have been stolen.
He said some men broke into his office in Abuja last Friday and stole “most of the files containing documents to be used in the eligibility suit and other vital documents.”
Olatoye and Adejumo Ajagbe filed the suit before the Federal High Court, Abuja seeking an order restraining the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the Attorney- General of the Federation (AGF) from allowing Jonathan and Vice President Namadi Sambo to seek re-election next year.
Olatoye said his office at Suite 33, Manga Plaza, Garki Area 11 was burgled on Friday night and vital documents he was using to pursue his case against the President and other vital documents were taken away.
He said he had reported the incident at the Garki Police station.
“It is really a great surprise to me, when I was called on Saturday morning that my office had been burgled by yet- to-be identified persons. It was my office alone that was burgled of the offices in the plaza. The thieves came in through the ceiling and ransacked the files.
“Although, they made away with the money I left in the office, they also stole documents, especially the ones I am using in pursuing my case against the eligibility of President Jonathan to contest the election.
“As a plaintiff in the matter and a lawyer, there are some documents I need to hand over to my lawyers, which I kept in the office. My computers were also destroyed, the office safe was damaged.
“The matter has been reported at the FCDA Police Station in Garki. The police have promised to come on Monday morning for further investigation”, Olatoye said.
Olatoye and Ajagbe are contending that by the virtue of provisions of sections 132(1), 135(2)(a) and (b), 137(1)(b), 142(1) and (2) of the constitution, the President and the Vice President elected in the same election and sworn into office on the same date were taken to have been elected for one term of four years.
The plaintiffs also contended that by the virtue of the oaths taken by Jonathan and Sambo following the death of President Umaru Yar’adua in 2010 and their subsequent re-election in 2011, both of them were deemed to have completed the two terms allowed by law.
Justice Ahmed Mohammed has fixed December 1 for hearing in the suit.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to email@example.com