UPDATE: 65 Persons Feared Dead in Maiduguri Market Bomb Blast
The Tuesday morning explosion that rocked the popular Monday market in Maiduguri has left at least 65 people feared dead.
Although, there have been no official confirmation of the death toll, an unconfirmed source said 65 corpses had been evacuated while others claimed 30 people were killed in the explosion.
A military source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said there are over 30 persons killed in the blast.
“No one can give you the exact casualty now but over 30 persons were killed and many have been rushed to the hospital.”
A spokesman for Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed that “many people have been killed” but did not have an official death toll.
But a health worker, Dogara Shehu said he counted more than “45 people killed, some of them completely decapitated” in an account backed up by a witness, who declined to give his name.
An eye witness said two suicide bomber, a male and female – attacked the heavily populated Maiduguri market, killing scores of people.
The female attacker who was the first to strike kept a parcel in one of the shops on One-way, a commercial area beside the popular Monday Market, telling the traders that she had something to pick from the market,
“The package detonated few minutes later. And as people were still wondering what happened and trying to rescue the injured, a bomber in the same area detonated a bomb planted on her; this claimed so many lives,” the source said.
“As I am talking to you, people are still trying to rescue the injured and evacuate the corpses. It is difficult to know the number of casualties,” he said.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to email@example.com