The Senate And The Masses Demand: “The Untold Reality”, By Adamu Auta
Posted On Jun 22, 2015
Nigerians went agog on different platform when the news broke out about the wardrobe allowances that would be disbursed to the 8th Assembly, in defence of the of the 8th Assembly the Senate President Said that they had cut their expenses base on their budget from 150bn to 120bn, despite the fact we all know that was done by the 7th Assembly under the leadership of Senator David Mark, he (Dr Saraki) also went to state that rmafc boss has explained the whole expenses to him etc and in all honesty they the Senators are not the once that are actually fixing this allowance on themselves the Rmafc shld be held responsible too on their own part.
The focus of this write up is not. The wardrobe allowances but on what do the Nigerian Masses really want from their Senators and Reps, here we are today demanding for reduction in their Allowances while on the other way round we go to this same members that we want their allowances to be reduce to make and ask for outrageous, unnecessary and unrealistic demands from them just because “after all we voted them in” .
A Senator and Reps member using my state (Nasarawa) as an example represent 5 local Govt and 3 local Govt respectively in this l.g.a we have various towns and villages that makes up a local Govt with each of them having a population of over 1000 people and each of this people expect their member (a single individual) to solve their own “personal” problems, for us to have a clear picture of what am saying let’s put some of this demands into perspectives.
(1) A Senator comes to your village for campaign you don’t listen to his campaign all what you want to know is how much did he give the leaders of that community to share and what is your percentage from the largesse.
(2) An individual wife has giving birth and he wants to celebrate the naming ceremony of his child he expects his member in the Nat Assembly to help him with money for such ceremony because he voted for him.
(3) Someone’s ward or Parents is ill you want your member to pay their medical bills after all I voted for him, he is in Abuja collecting our Money.
(4) It’s Sallah period you want your Senator or Rep member to provide Ram for your Sallah celebration, apart from the rice and oil you demanded during Ramadan period.
(5) it’s time for Hajj (pilgrimage) you want your Rep member to pay for you to go for Hajj,
(6) A media Practitioner is sent to cover a story at the Nat Assembly after completing ur assignment your expect a brown Envelope from the member.
(7) A civil society group, religious group, from his constituency organises a programme or better still pay’s him a courtesy visit. When he is taking his leave or when they (the group) are taking their leave whatever the case might be you expect transport stipends from this member.
(8) A communities transformer is spoilt they want their member to buy and fix a new one for them forgetting his primary duty in the House is to make law as that would better the the standard of living of his own people.
(9) Shadow projects like distribution of keeping napep, cars, bike and even organising a foot ball match under a youth empowerment scheme are also expected from this same senator or reps from people in his constituency.
(10) His Political party are also there with their various demand on this Same rep or senator.
(11) let’s not forget how people troop into his house everyday both in Abuja and his home town when he comes visiting for atleast their 2 square meal per day they don’t care how he gets money to buy the food after they voted for him he is collecting their money in Abuja.
(12) With the current rate of unemployed youth around in every state each community already have a list of people they expect this house Member to provide Job for them before his tenure elapses, not even putting into consideration how he gets the Job for them, all they want is the job after all we voted for him. If Alh Ahmed Joda was just a head of transitional committee receives CV from people seeking job and contract then imagine what a Senator or Rep that the Masses voted for is going through.
Putting all these demands into perspective on a single member of the house by people of his constituency multiply those demands in relation to the number of local government and villages he represent then the real Question is where do we expect him to get the Money to solve all this problems? Which we all know will determine his re-election bid next term if he don’t fulfill them and we are all shouting for his salary and allowances to be Reduce at all cost, In all Honesty the Salary and Allowance been giving to a legislature in country like Ours were most of the Masses are living in abject poverty is outrageous and unwarranted but the question is *Are we Nigerians ready to forfeit our unnecessary demands*? And let this Members do their Ideal job that they were Been voted in to do?
Until we start telling ourselves the real truth we cannot be “PLAYING DOUBLE STANDARD” by making unnecessary demands on this Members and turn around and start shouting that we want their salaries to be reduce. The Change we keep Yearning for must start from us the Masses before it cut across to our leaders. Attitudinal Change, Societal change first before Political Change that’s the only way forward until we fix this that’s when we can progress or else we shall keep moving in circles.
I Woke up this morning just to hear on a particular radio station that the Governor of Ogun state and His national Assembly members have decided to add more local council to the state because of administrative convenience, if this is true then it is highly unfortunate and also an act of wickedness on the present FG Govt and to whoever might be the next Gov of the state because how can a state that has not paid salaries for over 2 month create more councils? The state relies solely on the FG for allocations and here we are the allocations are dwindling and u are still creating more councils? Others are reducing cost of Governance by cutting out expenses while he is increasing his, UNFORTUNATE.
NYANYA -AYA ROAD (ABUJA)
I Recall vividly some Persons under the APC campaigned with this Road effectively to Ouster the PDP led Govt saying the Military in that road has outlive their relevance and that they are causing untold hardship to the masses trooping into town from that place, *NOW THAT THEY ARE THERE*(APC LED GOVT) please why are the Military still there? Because they are causing serious hardship to the masses, imagine waking up your child by 3am to prepare for school just because you want to beat the Hold up in that Route. The lasting solution to that route are well documented ranging from new routes to be created and new mode of transportation, to reduction of prices of houses in the city centre to reduce population from such axis but the Immediate solution to the Problem is evacuating the Military from that route like they rightly pointed out in their campaign, so please they (APC) should please stick to their Promise.
God Bless Nigeria
Adamu Auta holds a M.sc in (Sociology) he could be reached through his Twitter handle: @adamu318 and e-mail : email@example.com