Air Force Jets Bomb Boko Haram Terrorists

The Nigerian Air Force has said that its Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole has destroyed a Boko Haram Terrorists’ (BHT) logistics base, along with some vehicles, at Tumbun Sale in northern Borno.

NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, said that the operation was carried out on Tuesday.

“The operation was conducted on October 23 after Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions revealed the presence of some BHT vehicles and several fighters camouflaged under thick vegetation within the area, where the BHTs had converged in order to launch attacks against own troops’ positions.

“Accordingly, the ATF scrambled 2 Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Alpha Jet aircraft, supported by an ISR platform, to attack the target area in multiple waves,” he said.

Daramola said that the first wave of attacks recorded direct hits on a suspected BHT ammunition/fuel dump, sending it up in flames.

He said that subsequent air strikes also resulted in the destruction of some vehicles and killing of several Boko Haram terrorists, adding that the few surviving BHTs, that were seen fleeing the area, were mopped-up in follow-up attacks.

The spokesman said that the NAF, working in concert with land forces, would sustain the tempo of operations with a view to destroying all remnants of the terrorists on the fringes of Lake Chad and other areas in Northern Borno.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

ICRC Urges FG To Rescue Health Workers Held Hostage By Boko Haram

The International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC, has called for the federal government’s speedy intervention to save one of the two female staff being held hostage by Boko Haram.

In September, the insurgent group killed Saifura Ahmed, one of the three humanitarian workers abducted in Rann, Kala Balge local government area of Borno.

While the deceased worked with the International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC, the survivors are staff of UNICEF.

Toafic Toure, ICRC operational communication delegate, Maiduguri sub-delegation, said the remaining workers could be killed as the 24-hour deadline given by their abductors ends Monday.

The insurgents claimed they had contacted the government over the captives but did not get any response.

They had also threatened to kill Leah Sharibu, the only Christian among the students of Government Girls Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe state, abducted in February.

The ICRC called on the federal government to save the lives of the captives.

“The International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC, is making an urgent public appeal to the Nigerian Government and to communities and individuals with influence to work toward the release of two committed medical workers abducted in north-eastern Nigeria earlier this year,” the statement read.

“To the holder of these kidnapped women, ISWAP (Islamic State’s West African province group): We urge you for mercy. We urge you to not kill another innocent health care worker who was doing nothing but helping the community in north-east Nigeria.

“A third health care worker abducted alongside Hauwa and Alice ICRC colleague Saifura Hussaini Ahmed Khorsa was killed by her abductors in September. The ICRC asks those involved with this case to do everything they can to avoid a repeat of that devastating outcome.

“Hauwa Mohammed Liman worked in a hospital supported by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) when she was abducted on 01 March with Alice Loksha, a nurse who worked in a centre supported by UNICEF.”

President Muhammadu Buhari has pledged his commitment to rescuing all captives.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Troops Repel Boko Haram Attack On Base

Nigerian troops repelled another attempt by Boko Haram terrorists to overrun a military base in the village of Kekeno, near the garrison town of Monguno, in Borno state. Borno State.

A senior military officer in the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, who spoke with AFP, said the Islamists were equipped with anti-aircraft guns and rocket-propelled grenades on Sunday.

But they were unable to breach defensive ditches surrounding the facility, he added on condition of anonymity, as he was not authorised to speak to the media.

Boko Haram “met stiff resistance, which led to a battle that lasted for hours”, he said.

Details of the attack were slow to emerge as telecommunications infrastructure has been destroyed by fighting and there are strict controls on movement in rural Borno state.

People from the area were only able to reach Maiduguri on Tuesday as the military shut the main road for 24 hours as they searched for rebels in the bush.

“Boko Haram attacked at about 5:45 pm (1645 GMT) on Sunday. They came in several trucks and on motorcycles,” said bus driver Sani Madaye.

Madaye said he and other drivers were sitting in a shed near the military base at the time. He was on his way to the fishing town of Baga, on the shores of Lake Chad and was forced to stop.

“The gunmen used a herd of cattle as cover to attack the base but they were detected in nearby bushes as they approached their target,” he said.

“A truck carrying fighters attempted to break (through) the barrier but the driver was shot and the truck swerved and crashed,” added another witness, who gave his name as Abdullahi.

“Suddenly, there was heavy shooting from Boko Haram and soldiers responded with fire, and it lasted for around one hour.”

Troop reinforcements were sent from Monguno, eight kilometres (five miles) away, and a fighter jet was deployed that forced the jihadists to withdraw.

Further attempts were made to storm the base until Boko Haram finally withdrew at about 10:30 pm, said Madaye, adding there were no military casualties.

There was no indication of the number of Boko Haram casualties, despite there being “bloodstains all over” at first light, said Madaye.

 

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

How Boko Haram Killed Over 200 Islamic Scholars During Jonathan’s Administration

An Islamic scholar, Prof. Adam Okene Ahmed, on Tuesday, revealed that the Boko Haram terrorist group, popularly known as Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Liddaawati Wal-jihad, killed over 200 well-known Islamic scholars between 2011 and 2015.

The Scholar, who spoke at the seventh professorial inaugural lecture series of Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna, also stressed that the sect does not represent the teachings and practice of the religion of Islam.

In the lecture titled: “Boko Haram Since 2009: A Study in Security History,” he said: “There’s no doubt that Boko Haram and its activities can be traced to Islam but only as heretical and vicious sect inside the fold.

“Boko Haram’s leadership has consistently been claiming this position and has tried severally to justify their Islam-ness by relying on textual and scriptural evidences that they often than not quote out of context and without the chains and justifications of revelation.”

In September 2010, an Islamic Cleric, Sheikh Bashir Mustapha, an outspoken critic of the sect was murdered in his home.

Another prominent Islamic Ibrahim Birkuti, was on June 2011, shot dead by the islamic sect.

Also in September 2012, some suspected Boko Haram members shot dead a renown Islamic Cleric Ustaz Bukar Goni Kolo in Maiduguri, Borno State.

In February 2014, a Nigerian Muslim cleric, Sheik Adam Albani, who openly criticized Islamist sect Boko Haram was killed in Zaria, Kaduna State.

The Nigerian government, in 2015, arrested former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, for allegedly distributing billions of naira meant for arms purchase for the fight against the insurgent Boko Haram group, to politicians, his cronies and family members.

He has since been  arraigned before an Abuja High Court on a 19-count charge of money laundering and breach of public trust.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Amnesty International Commends FG Over Trial of Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists

Amnesty International Nigeria has commended the Federal Government over the trial of suspected Boko Haram terrorists, describing the ongoing trial as ”good progress for the justice sector”.

The commendation was contained in a letter addressed to the Honourable Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN), by Osai Ojigho, Country Director, Amnesty International Nigeria, a copy of which was made available to the office of the Minister of Information and Culture.

Amnesty International Nigeria said its delegates, who were invited to observe the proceedings at the third phase of the trial at Wawa Military Cantonment, Kainji, New Bussa, Niger State, 8-11 July, 2018, ”were treated with respect and decorum”.

”Amnesty International has repeatedly and unequivocally condemned the attacks by members of Boko Haram. We have repeatedly urged the Nigerian government to conduct thorough and independent investigations into the alleged human rights violations and abuses, with a view to bringing suspected perpetrators to justice in a fair trial without recourse to the death penalty and this indeed is a good progress for the justice sector,” the global rights campaigner said.

Amnesty International Nigeria expressed the hope that it will also be invited to observe future trials.

Commenting on the letter, Mr. Malami said it was a ”clear demonstration of the strategic role of the Federal Ministry of Justice and its commitment in adjudicating terrorism cases, implementing the Criminal Justice Act, and promoting the rule of law and human rights”.
[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Nigerian Air Force Neutralises Boko Haram Terrorists In Borno

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says the Air Task Force (ATF) of ” Operation LAFIYA DOLE” has destroyed two gun trucks and neutralised several Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) at ZARI on the fringes of the Lake Chad in Borno State.

Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, who disclosed this in a statement on Friday in Abuja,said that the operation was carried out on Thursday.

” The air strikes were conducted sequel to intelligence reports indicating that dozens of BHTs in 5 vehicles had withdrawn to a location underneath some trees about 5 Km Southwest of ZARI, after an engagement with own troops at ZARI.

” Accordingly, the ATF deployed Alpha Jet and F-7 attack aircraft as well as an Mi-35M helicopter gunship supported by 2 Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platforms to conduct a massive attack against the insurgents.

” Overhead the target area, the BHTs, who were initially seen assembled by their vehicles along the road, rapidly dispersed to disparate positions within the general area, with some of them seen firing at own platforms,” he said

Daramola said that the NAF attack aircraft, therefore, struck the various positions in successive coordinated waves; destroying 2 of the BHTs’ vehicles and neutralizing several BHTs in the process.

He said that some of the surviving insurgents were seen fleeing the location in different directions, adding that ” these were accordingly mopped-up in subsequent follow-on attacks”.

The NAF spokesman said the NAF would continue to deploy its platforms to conduct intensive ISR missions in the entire North East aimed at discovering the possible locations of remnants of BHTs and neutralising them.

NAN

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Troops Neutralize Three Boko Haram Insurgents In Borno

The Nigerian Army says its troops have killed three Boko Haram insurgents while on fighting patrol in Kukawa in Baga Local Government Area in Borno on Sunday.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Texas Chukwu disclosed this in a statement released in Maiduguri on Monday.

Chukwu said the terrorists were intercepted by troops of 82 Division Task Force Brigade Deployed in the area.

He said that the troops, while on fighting patrol at Kukawa general area got information on the terrorists’ activities in Kalamari village, 30 Kilometres to Kukawa town.

He said the insurgents who were on a looting and extortion spree in the village were intercepted by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.

“During the encounter following a superior firepower of the troops, three members of the Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised,” he said.

The director listed items recovered from the terrorist to include, three AK 47 rifles; two magazines and four rounds of 7.62mm ammunition.

“Meanwhile, the gallant troops have continued with aggressive fighting patrol, as efforts are ongoing by the troops to track down other fleeing members of the Boko Haram Terrorists from any hideouts.

“Members of the general public are advised to report any suspicious movements or activities in their general area to the law enforcement agents for prompt action,” he said.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Boko Haram Kills NEMA Staff In Borno

An employee of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), John Iliya, has been killed by the Boko Haram terrorist group in Borno State.

NEMA Head of Media and Public Relations, Mr Sani Datti, confirmed this in a statement on Thursday.

Datti revealed that Iliya was murdered on Wednesday at Damasak town in Mobbar Local Government Area of the state.

He said the Director-General of NEMA, Mustapha Maihaja, and the management staff have mourned the deceased.

Maihaja consequently dispatched a team of officials to Maiduguri, the Borno State capital to facilitate the return of Iliya’s remains to his family.

On behalf of the agency, the NEMA DG also condoled with the family of the deceased over the loss.

Until his demise, Iliya was an excavator operator with the emergency agency and was attached to the military.

Channels

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Army Repel Boko Haram Attack On Borno Town

The Nigerian Army and Police has repelled an attack by Boko-Haram insurgents who attempted to invade Jakana town in Kaga Local Government Area of Borno.

Reports say that dozens of the insurgents armed with sophisticated weapons stormed the town at about 5.30 pm.

Jakana is about 40km from Maiduguri, the Borno capital.

Brig-Gen Bulama Biu, GOC 7 Div, Maiduguri, who confirmed the incident to NAN, said the attack was promptly repelled.

“Yes, there was an attack and we are on top of the situational; I will get back to you for details,” he told NAN in a telephone interview on Thursday.

A policeman stationed in Jakana, who did not want his name mentioned, said the troops fought gallantly to repel the attackers.

Malam AdamuKemdi, a resident of Jakana who fled the town, told NAN that the insurgents came with sophisticated weapons mounted on more than 15 vehicles.

Kemdi said he was suspecting they stormed the town in search of food items, as Thursday is the market day in Jakana.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Nigerian Air Force Kills Boko Haram Terrorists Regrouping In Borno

The Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole has killed several Boko Haram Terrorists at Bulagaye and Kwakwa areas of Borno State.  

The Director of Public Relations and Information (DOPRI), Air Vice Marshal Olatokunbo Adesanya said in a statement yesterday that the successful air strikes on both locations were a result of efforts to trail and neutralise fleeing terrorists after Nigerian Army  troops had repelled the attack on their location around Bama. 

Adesanya said upon receiving reports of the attack, the ATF scrambled Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platform and the Alpha Jet aircraft to locate the fleeing terrorists.

Consequently, he said the insurgents, who were seen assembling at a staging area in Bulagaye began to disperse upon sighting the attack platforms. 

 “However, the NAF fighter aircraft acquired and attacked the fleeing insurgents with bombs and rockets. As a result of the air strikes, the terrorists were neutralised while their vehicles and weapons were destroyed, leading to a thick cloud of black smoke,” he stated. 

According to Adesanya, intelligence reports later revealed that a smaller bunch of the terrorists had re-assembled in a settlement known as Kwakwa with the ATF conducting a wave of strikes on the location. 

He said the ISR platform successfully identified the terrorists’ location and vectored the attack platforms to the target area, which was attacked with bombs and rockets.

The NAF Spokesman also said that some of the terrorists were seen fleeing towards a nearby settlement and further attacked with rockets and then neutralised. 

 He promised that the Air Task Force would continue to conduct missions in support of the efforts of our troops in the counterinsurgency operations in the Northeast while also providing Close Air Support when requested to do so.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Chibok Girls: Borno Police Command Parade 22 Boko Haram Commanders

The Nigeria Police has paraded twenty-two Boko Haram commanders including eight fighters that actively participate in the kidnap of over two hundred Chibok girls in two thousand and fourteen.

Parading the suspects at the headquarters of Borno State Command, Commissioner of Police Damian Chukwu said the special operations was led by the Inspector General of police Intelligence Response Unit with the support of counter-terrorism unit and other arms of the police.

CP Damian Chukwu added that after a fierce gun battle that ensued in the process of their arrest, the team destroyed several explosive devices while a cache of arms and ammunition were recovered.

According to the Commissioner of Police, the Boko Haram sub commanders also confessed to having carried out several suicide bombings across the country, killings of innocent Nigerians including security personnel among other violent crimes in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States.

He pointed out that since the beginning of the counterinsurgency operations the command has not recorded this magnitude of arrest in one single operation.

The leader of the IGP Intelligence Response Unit Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari said the swift coordinated operation was conducted within two weeks in Borno and Yobe States.

He explained that the team also arrested some Boko Haram logistic suppliers in the operations.

The suspects paraded include three Boko Haram sub-commanders, two logistic suppliers and seventeen fighters.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Army Announces Rescue Of Girl Abandoned By Boko Haram

Troops in Borno have rescued a “female child” abandoned by Boko Haram terrorists, who fled on sighting them, army spokesman, Brig.-Gen Texas Chukwu has said.

According to a statement issued by Chukwu, the troops on a “clearance operation” also recovered three AK47 riffle magazines, one FN rifle magazine and one suicide vest from the terrorists.

He said other items recovered from them include one dry cell battery, one 36 hand grenade, two nine volt batteries, one pressure plate, wire for making Improvised Explosive Devices and two grinding machines.

In another development, Chukwu said over 1, 843 people have benefited from a medical medical outreach organised by the Nigerian army in Bama Local Government Area of the state.

He said the outreach was part of activities to mark the just concluded Nigerian Army Day celebration.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]