INTERNATIONAL

SUDAN VOWS AN END TO FIGHTING WITH SOUTH SUDAN

Sudan has vowed to end its hostilities with South Sudan in compliance with a UN Security Council resolution asking both countries to end the fighting or face sanctions.

In a statement, a foreign ministry spokesman said Sudan would “fully commit to what has been issued in the resolution about stopping hostilities with South Sudan according to the time limits issued”, but however said that Khartoum reserved the right to respond to “aggression” from the South.

It added that it hoped the “other party will commit to stop the hostilities completely and withdraw its troops from the disputed areas so as not to put SAF [Sudanese Armed Forces] in a situation where it has to defend itself”.

A UN resolution on Wednesday backed an African Union plan demanding both sides cease hostilities, amid fears of an all-out war between the neighbours.

The Security Council called for a written commitment by both governments within 48 hours, and threatened sanctions if its terms were not met.

Meanwhile, South Sudan said that Sudanese warplanes had bombed a military position in Unity state, and said that there had also been a ground attack.

In the same vein, Sudan has also claimed that South Sudan has also carried attacks on its territory.

In its statement, he says, Sudan pointed out the numerous ways in which it considers it has been attacked by South Sudan in the last few days.

The latest crisis began last month when the south seized a disputed oil field at Heglig.

Disputes over the sharing of oil revenue are a major cause of conflict between Juba and Khartoum.

South Sudan took most of the oil reserves when it seceded in July 2011, but relies on pipelines to seaports in Sudan for distribution.

The South seceded from Sudan as part of a 2005 peace treaty following two decades of civil war in which some 1.5m people died.

Previous ArticleNext Article

Share Your Comment With Others

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.