SHOCKER! 234 Girls Missing In Borno, Not 85 As Reported, Parents Tell Gov Shettima
Since the kidnap of some female student at Government Girls’ Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state, its been one controversy or the other.
First was the number of girls kidnapped, which initially was put at over 200, but was later scaled down to 127 reportedly by the school authority after a head count. This was followed by the claim by the Nigerian military that all but eight of the girls have been rescued following the hot pursuit of the terrorist groups by security personnel, a claim it later withdrew after the school principal revealed that the claimed by the military is false.
Soon after these claims and subsequent withdrawal, there were reports that some of the kidnapped girls have escaped leaving the remaining in the hands of the insurgents at 85.
But latest report coming from Borno state indicates that a total of 234 girls are missing from the school following the attack last week by Islamic extremists.
According to what parents of the school girls told the state governor, Kashim Shettima, a total of 234 girls were discovered to be missing after they drew up a list of names of missing children, but said officials refused to listen to them.
This figure is significantly more than the 85 reported by the education commissioner after some of the girls escaped.
The governor visited the town even after security officials had warned that it was too dangerous for him to drive to Chibok, 130 kilometers (80 miles) from Maiduguri, the Borno state capital and birthplace of the Boko Haram terrorist network blamed for the abductions.
Borno state education commission Musa Inuwo Kubo and the principal of the Chibok Government Girls Secondary School had initially said that 129 science students were at the school to write a physics exam when the abductors struck, after midnight on April 14. Twenty-eight pupils escaped from their captors between Tuesday and Friday. Then another 16 were found to be day scholars who had returned to their homes in Chibok before the attack. That left
Security sources have said they are in “hot pursuit” of the abductors, but so far they have not rescued any of the girls and young women, aged between 16 and 18.
Parents and other town residents have joined the search for the students in the Sambisa Forest which borders Chibok town and is a known hideout for the militants.
Boko Haram has been abducting some girls and young women in attacks on schools, villages and towns but last week’s mass kidnapping is unprecedented. The extremists use the young women as porters, cooks and sex slaves, according to Nigerian officials.
Boko Haram was on a rampage last week, staging four attacks in three days that began with a massive explosion during rush hour at a busy bus station Monday morning in Abuja, the capital in the center of the country, which killed at least 75 people and wounded 141.
Nigeria’s military and government had claimed to have the militants on the run and contained in a remote northeast corner on the border with Cameroon.
But extremist attacks have increased in frequency and become ever deadlier this year with more than 1,500 people killed so far, compared to an estimated 3,600 between 2010 and 2013.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to email@example.com