Nyanya Blast Update: Unexploded Bomb Found, 16 Confirmed Dead, Two Suspects Arrested
As Rescue efforts continue in the fresh bomb blast that occurred in Nyanya Thursday evening at the same location a similar incidence occurred two weeks ago at a bus terminal near Abuja city centre, an unexploded bomb that did not detonate after the explosion was found by one of the security men on duty.
The whole area was quickly cordoned off to enable bomb expert diffuse the bomb, but not without difficulty controlling the crowd and miscreants.
“Let everybody move out for a buffer, this environment is not yet safe. Move while we try to diffuse the bomb. If you are not in uniform for your own safety please” , the military advised.
Meanwhile, no less than 16 persons have been confirmed dead in the blast, while 41 people sustained various degrees of injuries, FCT authorities said.
However, the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba who addressed journalists at the scene of the blast, said so far 12 citizens died and 19 suffered various injuries.
In an interesting development, two Camerounian suspects were arrested at the scene of the blast. The security forces nabbed the suspects who claimed to be of foreign nationals and could not speak nor understand English language.
An eye witness also confirmed that it was a Mazda car that was used for the bombings and that three suspects drove by, parked the car and started running.
“As people started pursuing them, the car exploded creating panic and pandemonium that made them to escape”, the witness said.
The witness said three people inside the Golf car parked close to the Mazada died instantly.