MEND Threatens Attack on Muslims and their Places of Worship
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (M.E.N.D) has threatened to embark on a crusade to save Christianity from Annihilation in Nigeria with attacks on Muslims and their various places of worship, apparently in response to several attacks by members of the Boko Haram sect.
The group in a statement by its spokesman, Jomo Gbomo on Sunday said the attack which is on behalf of the hapless Christian population in Nigeria, will commence from Friday, May 31, 2013 and will target various places of worship by Muslims.
“The bombings of mosques, hajj camps, Islamic institutions, large congregations in Islamic events and assassinations of clericks that propagate doctrines of hate, will form the core mission of this crusade code named “Operation Barbarossa”, Gbomo said.
Gbomo added that the “campaign will not in any way interfere with the ongoing “Hurricane Exodus” – which on Saturday, April 13, 2013, at about 01:00 Hrs, swept through the Ewellesuo comminity, Nembe, Bayelsa State, leaving the destruction of well 62, belonging to Shell Petroleum in its wake.”
While stating that its has no problem with Boko Haram’s attack on security agencies including the prisons, for their role in extra judicial killings, torture, deceit and corruption, Gbomo said it will only put a stop to the impending attack if Boko Haram leadership privately or publicly assure of the cessation of hostilities against christians. It also said the intervention of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and its jailed leader, Henry Okah are what will make them to call off the crusade.
“We may only consider a ceasefire of “Operation Barbarossa” if the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), the Catholic Church and Henry Okah, one of the few leaders in the Niger Delta region we respect for his integrity, intervenes. Also the assurance for a cessation of hostilities targeted at Christians in their places of worship, made privately or publicly by the real Boko Haram leadership will make us call off this crusade”, Gbomo said.
MEND had recently commenced hostilities in the Niger Delta after previously accepting an amnesty offer by the government of late President Umar Musa Yaradua in 2009 where arms where surrendered in exchange for monthly allowances and various forms of trainings.
Last week, the group claimed responsibility for the killing of 12 policemen in Azuzama village after initially threatening to resume hostilities over the sentencing of its leader, Henry Okah to 24 years in prison by a South African court.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to email@example.com