Intelligence Reports Reveal Chibok Girls Still Alive – Source
over 500 days since the Chibok girls were kidnapped from their school in Borno, Intelligence reports according to Thisday have revealed that at least half of the girls are still alive but held in various secret locations in the North-east region of Nigeria and neighbouring countries of the Lake Chad region.
The report which quoted an intelligence source vouching that some, but not all, of the Chibok girls were alive also spoke on the division in the Boko Haram camp.
The division between the Abubakar Shekau-led faction of the Boko Haram sect and a splinter group led by Mahamat Daoud, who recently claimed to be the new leader of the group, has weakened the resolve of the terrorists to carry on with their mission for an Islamic Caliphate, the report said.
The source revealed that military intelligence was aware that some the girls were still with the terrorists in different locations, while some had been married off and may never be found again.
“We will never find all the girls again as intelligence findings revealed some have died, and some married away, while the rest are still divided among the terror groups in different locations both within the North-east and some neighbouring countries,” the source said.
Speaking further, the top intelligence officer revealed that advanced military intelligence in the last couple of months has helped to track down, dislodge, downgrade and destroy terrorist cells or enclaves.
The source noted that the new service chiefs had adopted intelligence-led measures for the counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations.
According to the officer, the noticeable cooperation between the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and Nigerian Army, which has yielded the desired success had much to do with coordinated and sophisticated military intelligence.
“The aerial bombardments are more precise and decisive, hitting the right targets deep inside the Sambisa Forest, while the ground troops move with the aide of accurate and water-tight intelligence reports.
“Apart from the increasing involvement and coordination of the fighting between the army and air force, there is a highly centralised and sophisticated coordination of defence intelligence,” the source said.
In addition, the officer said there are cracks in the Boko Haram camp since Daodu-led group broke ranks from the Shekau pro-Islamic State (ISIS) group, stating that the division was taking its toll on Boko Haram members and breaking their will to fight.
Military intelligence, he said, had discovered that the new group, which is favourably disposed to negotiations with the federal government, pulled away from the Shekau-led remnants when their former leader formed an alliance with ISIS.
“This was against their original plan. In fact, they got fed up with the way Shekau was going on with the terror campaign, especially the alliance with ISIS. So right now, there are two camps and they are no longer coordinated and active
“Also, as they are increasingly in disarray, the precise and effective bombings in Sambisa Forest and other locations are driving them towards the border areas,” the source added.
In a related development, the federal government is marshalling out a plan for the safe return and rehabilitation of millions of people displaced in the North-eastern part of the country by Boko Haram activities.
The Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) driven programme tagged: ‘Safe Corridor’ which was to be unveiled yesterday by the Chief of Defence Intelligence (CDI), Air Vice Marshal Monday Morgan, was postponed to yet-to- be decided date to make it a more inclusive programme for all stakeholders.
While apologising for the postponement of the programme, the Deputy Chief of Defence Intelligence (DCDI), Maj-Gen. SD Aliyu, said it would be a massive project, which would now be handled at the presidential level.
According to Aliyu, the planned operation ‘Safe Corridor’, is an intelligence driven programme that targets the return and rehabilitation of those affected by the Boko Haram terrorist activities.
“So we have to postpone this to a later date because the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), all the governors of the affected states, other top dignitaries and stakeholders will be in attendance,” he said.