Frequently Asked Questions on Eid-el-Kabir
Based on the book “The 2 eids & their significance by Abdul Majeed Ali Hasaan”
For every people there’s eid (feast) & this is our feast-Muhammad (SAW) [Sahih Bukhari].
- Is eid prayer compulsory?
- That is the view of some scholars like Abu Hanifah & Ibn Taymiyyah. According to Ahmad Ibn hambal it’s Fard kifaya (i.e. not compulsory upon all muslims), this is also the view of Ibn Qudamah. Lastly Eid prayer is a strong sunnah, according to Maliki and Shafi’ school of thought
- Who should pray eid?
- Men, children, women, residents, travelers etc.
- What if the woman is menstruating?
- They should go to the mosque but stay away from the musalla (place of prayer) as commanded by Prophet (SAW)
- What should one do before going to eid prayer?
- # One should take ghusl or at least ablution.
# One should use perfume, Prophet (SAW) use to order his companions to do so.
# One should use Siwak (or tooth brush).
# One should wear his best clothes as the Prophet (SAW) wears special cloak for eids according to Ibn Qayyam in one of his books
# Buraidah reported that the Prophet (SAW) said One should not eat until he has return from the place of prayer. (Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)
# Recite takbir
- How should one recite the takbeers?
- The companions used to recite the takbir openly in market & other public places.
One should say; Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La Ilaha Illal Lah, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Wa lil Lahil hamd!
Meaning: Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest, there’s no God but Allah. Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest. All praise belongs to Allah!
This has been reported from Abdurrazzaq from Salman. However there are some other versions reported from Ibn Mas’ud and others.
- WHERE should we perform the prayer?
- The prayer should be performed in an open place, outside the city (provided it is not raining or without any excuse). The Prophet (SAW) prayed outside Madinah throughout his life.
- When is the RIGHT TIME to pray?
- The right time to pray is from when the sun becomes visible to the naked eye until it reaches its peak. It’s however better to pray early so that people can complete their sacrifice according to Ibn Qudamah.
- How to say Niyyah?
- One should declare his intention (in his mind).
- Should there be any call to prayer before eid?
- It’s reported from various sources including Sahih Bukhari & Sahih Muslim that Prophet (SAW) would perform eid prayer without any Athan or Iqamah.
- How many Raka’ats of Nawafil (voluntary) prayers should one perform before or/and after eid prayer?
- It’s not permissible to perform any voluntarily prayers before or after eid prayers. Neither the Prophet (SAW) nor his companions ever did said Ibn Abbas.
- How many takbirats are there in eid prayer?
- 7 & 5 in the 1st and 2nd Raka’ats respectively. (Sunan Dawud)
- Is raising the hands during the takbirats compulsory?
- One should not raise his hands while saying the additional takbirats. (Refer to Tamamul Minnah of Sheikh Nasiruddeen Albani)
- Is KHUTBAH (sermon) compulsory?
- Delivering and Listening to Khutbah is Sunnah. And it should be delivered after the prayers (unlike the Friday sermons)
Which direction should one follow after prayer?
- Jabir said: The Prophet (SAW) would take different routes (from the One he followed earlier)
- What if you miss the prayer?
- You may pray two (2) Raka’ats. One of the sahabas practiced such. (see Sahih Bukhari)
- How do we greet each other?
- People should exchange greetings according to Sunnah by saying “Taqabbalal Lahu minna wa minkum” meaning May Allah accept it from me & you. Or “Eid Mubarak”
- I’m I allowed to celebrate during Eid?
- Islam gives room for celebration. Provided one doesn’t cross borders (it should be within moral grounds). There should be no mixing of the opposite sexes, Ladies going uncovered wearing perfumes. Etc.
Allah knows best!!!
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
Follow me on twitter: @ya_waliyyi.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org