Exposed: JTF’s Bare Faced Lies About the Killers of General Shuwa
It seems the Nigerian military have found some untold reasons to engage in tales that falls short of the truth. Just few weeks ago, Baga, a fishing community bordering Lake Chad in Borno state was raided by men of the Multinational Joint Task Force, (MJTF) during a face-off with men of the dreaded Boko Haram. Over 185 people were said to have died from the massacre and thousands of properties burnt, but when the military was given account of what happened in the town, they claimed that only 30 people died and less than 200 houses burnt.
While the military consistently denied the figure many alluded to, a human right organization came out with satellite images of the massacre in Baga, where they confirmed over 2000 houses burnt and at least 183 persons killed
Nigerians and indeed the international community were yet to recover from the shock of the Baga massacre when an elder statesman and former minister of petroleum, Dr Shettima Ali Monguno was kidnapped after Friday prayer in Maiduguri. Although the elder statesman has since been released by his abductors, the account given by his family indicates that the Joint Task Force in Boko has a hand in his Kidnap. According to a member of the family, Hussaini Monguno, the elder statesman was only kidnapped to divert attention from the Baga Massacre.
While the release of Shettima Ali Monguno was still being celebrated, the Joint Task Force paraded three suspects it claimed were responsible for the assassination of General Shuwa. The surprising thing about this claim is that the JTF had last year told Nigerians that the killers of the civil war hero have been killed in a shootout with operatives of the sect.
The JTF in Borno state precisely on the 15th of November, 2012, state announced that its troops have killed a Boko Haram commander, one Ibn Saleh Ibrahim and other members of the violent sect believed to have masterminded the assassination of the civil war hero, but on Monday, May 06, 2013, the JTF in Maiduguri in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa said again that four suspects were identified in connection with the killing of Late General Mamman Shuwa, but three have so far been arrested and they are in the custody of the Taskforce.
For the purpose of clarification, we have reproduced excerpts of he two statements the JTF made concerning the assassination of General Mamman Shuwa, first on the 15th of November 2012 and the second on the 6th of May, 2013.
Excerpts of JTF statement on November 15, 2012
Spokesman of the JTF, Lt Col Sagir Musa who confirmed the killing today (15/11/12) said ”In a sustained follow up operation this afternoon, the combine troops of the JTF Operation Restore Order, 333 Air Defence Regiment, the Department of State Security supported by Armoured Personnel Carriers with helicopters conducted a major offensive against the insurgent at Nganaram, Bulabulin and Bayan Quarters areas of Maiduguri metropolis.
“During the offensive and in a counter attack, a major Commander of the Boko Haram sect, commanding the North West and North East of Maiduguri by name, Ibn Saleh ibrahim with some of his commanders and foot soldiers were killed.”
The security intelligence “confirmed the late Ibn Saleh Ibrahim was responsible for the recent assassination of the Nigerian Civil War hero, Gen Mamman Shuwa through the order of the Boko Haram sect leader, Abubakar Shekau.”
Musa who said several weapons were recovered, however did not give the number of other commanders and foot soldier killed with Ibn Saleh Ibrahim, insisting the “operation is still going” and that further detail will be given later.
“We heard that people were saying that we had hand in the killing of Gen Shuwa. I want the people to know that we didn’t have any problem with the man. We don’t have anything against him. He is (was) a respected person and has not offended us in any way. We have no hand in his killing. We were even surprised when we heard about the incident,” Abdulaziz had told journalists through a telephone conference in Maiduguri.
Excerpts of JTF statement On May 06, 2013
The Military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital said it has arrested three suspects in connection with the killing of elder statesman, Late General Mamman Shuwa.
The JTF on Monday in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa indicates that four suspects were identified in connection with the killing but three have so far been arrested and they are in the custody of the Taskforce.
The names of the suspects were given as Mustapha Umar 22, Goni Modu Lawan 22 and Goni Ali 20.
The JTF in the statement said while one was actively involved in the killing, the other two played various indirect roles in the killing of the retired General.
The suspects according to the statement have confessed to being members of the Boko Haram sect under Gwange cell with one Abdul kareem now decease as their commander.
The statement also said that the suspects have confessed to carrying out various attacks both on Military and civilian targets including extortions of about N20 million from late Ibrahim Mai Sugar amongst others.
Late Gen Shuwa was shot dead on Friday November 2 at his Gwange residence opposite Customs area of Maiduguri about an hour before the Friday Juma’at prayers.
The dreaded sect, Boko Haram, had immediately denied killing the war General and an associate of former Governor Ali Modu Sheriff of Borno State, his orderly and a guest in his Maiduguri home.
One Mohammed Ibn Abdulaziz who claimed to be speaking for the Boko Haram after securing the permission of their leader, Imam Shekau however on Sunday November 4 denied the involvement of the sect in the killing of Gen Shuwa.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to email@example.com