Ekiti 2014 Election: Fayemi Ahead of Fayose, Bamidele in Poll Rating
BARRING any last minute changes in voters’ behaviour, an opinion poll recently conducted by one of Nigeria’s leading research company, Brand Surveys Ltd, has rated incumbent Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, as the preferred candidate by majority of registered voters in the state.
The poll result made available to newsmen from the company’s corporate head office in Lagos and signed by its Managing Consultant, Olaniyi Ayeni, shows that the study was conducted in the month of May 2014 across the 16 local government areas in Ekiti State.
According to the documented result, majority of respondents, representing 68% of the people interviewed via questionnaire survey using multi-stage random sampling technique, across the 16 local government council areas of Ekiti State want the incumbent governor, Dr. John Kayode Fayemi to continue in office to consolidate on the different spheres of his 8-point agenda, adjudged as touching the lives of Ekiti People in so many ways.
The candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Mr. Ayo Fayose was preferred by 28% of respondents, while his Labour Party (LP) counterpart, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele scored 4%.
The report further reveals that Brand Surveys Limited interviewed a total of 2,418 respondents. However, 2,372 of respondents, representing 98% of all those interviewed, are registered voters with voters cards, while only 46 of them, representing 2%, do not have voters cards. “Therefore, if the elections were to be held today, this poll result is indicative of how the people may vote,” says the poll.
Also, across all the 16 LGAs visited, 60% of those interviewed, representing 1,423 of the respondents, belong to one political party or the other, while 40%,representing, 949 respondents do not”. The study also shows that APC is the dominant Party in Ekiti State. Out of the 1,423 respondents who belong to political parties, 55% of them, 783 said they belong to the APC, while 33% of the respondents belong to PDP. Only 12% of respondents, representing 171, belong to the Labour Party. According to the spokesperson of Brand Surveys Limited,
“We are a through-the-line research consultancy outfit in Nigeria; providing timely, accurate and actionable data and insights to guide decision-making that will impact positively on our clients’ bottom-line but on the society.
“The company has over the years handled a number of high profile Opinion Poll projects, such as the Benchmark Polls for the Hope ’93 Elections for the M.K.O Abiola Campaign Organisation, leading to the overall strategic thrust of the Hope 93 Campaign, the poll on the Nigerian Road Sector Reform for the World Bank and BPE, FGDs on Youth Life Style for Coca Cola Nigeria and the Community Policing Impact Survey for The British Council, Religion and Political Culture Survey for the DFID amongst other high profile research projects handled for reputable clients locally and internationally.”
On why the company opted to conduct the opinion poll ahead of the coming governorship elections, Olaniyi Ayeni disclosed that the poll is the company’s own corporate social investment towards the sustainability of the current democratic dispensation, saying, “what ended the second republic was not a nationwide crisis, but a crisis over the declaration of Chief Akin Omoboriowo as winner of the Ondo State governorship elections against popular expectations that Pa Adekunle Ajasin was coasting home to victory.
So we must never assume that a post-elections crisis in Ekiti State cannot snowball into a major crisis that will mark the end of this democratic experiment.
“As a corporate organization, we cannot continue to feign indifference, because should a crisis engulf Nigeria today as result of the coming elections, there will be no conducive atmosphere for us to continue to do our business.
This is our own contribution to ensuring that we get it right with democratic transitions in Nigeria, and we intend to continue doing this.” The result of this poll is coming barely three weeks to the Ekiti State governorship elections scheduled to hold on Saturday 21, June 2014.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org