Ebola: Three Journalists, Five Health Workers Attacked By Residents Found Dead in Guinea
A team of health workers and three journalists who were pushing an awareness campaign on the deadly Ebola virus has been found dead in Guinea, government officials say.
They went missing after being attacked on Tuesday in a village near the southern city of Nzerekore.
The three doctors and three journalists disappeared after being pelted with stones by residents when they arrived in the village of Wome – near where the Ebola outbreak was first recorded.
One of the journalists managed to escape and told reporters that she could hear the villagers looking for them while she was hiding.
A government delegation, led by the health minister, had been dispatched to the region but they were unable to reach the village by road because a main bridge had been blocked.
Residents of the villages killed the Ebola team and dumped their bodies which were found on Thursday in a septic tank of a primary school in the village.
Government spokesman Albert Damantang Camara said that the victims, eight in all had been “killed in cold blood by the villagers”.
The reason for the killings is unclear, but correspondents say many people in the region distrust health officials and have refused to co-operate with authorities, fearing that a diagnosis means certain death.
Last month, riots erupted in the area of Guinea where the health team went missing after rumours that medics who were disinfecting a market were contaminating people.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org