Civilian JTF, Borno Govt Dispells Report of Bama’s Fall to Boko Haram
The Borno youth vigilante group popularly referred to as Civilian JTF has dispelled news reports that the Boko Haram insurgents had taken control of Bama.
They said instead, it was the group that suffered massive casualties during the gun battle with the military on Monday, losing 130 persons with 35 others arrested.
At a press briefing in Maiduguri, spokesman of the Civilian JTF, who is also the legal adviser to the group, Mr. Jibrin Gunda, said: “We categorically refute the statement credited to Senator Ahmed Zanna, the senator representing Borno Central on the BBC Hausa service that Boko Haram had captured Bama.
“News has filtered most especially on foreign media to which we want to clearly state that our security personnel are doing their best and yesterday our gallant soldiers successfully repelled the insurgents that attacked Bama.
“Bama as a town in Borno State has never been overrun or overtaken by the insurgents even for a minute, even as of now our soldiers are in full control of the town.
“In view of this, we categorically deny and disassociate ourselves with an interview granted to some foreign media by one Senator Ahmed Zanna as what he stated are not the true facts on ground. More so, the interview he granted has contributed to instilling fear in the minds of citizens of Borno State and residents of Maiduguri in particular.”
He advised residents of Borno not to panic because of what he described as rumours, adding: “We want to re-assure the citizens of Borno State that nobody should leave Maiduguri because all that has been said are mere rumours.
“As such, people should be calm as the Nigerian security forces are capable, willing and competent to discharge their duties. All citizens should desist from making unguarded and false statements which might frighten the citizens unnecessarily.”
The spokesman of the vigilante group called on President Goodluck Jonathan to do all he could to support the armed forces in the fight against terrorism so as to end the menace in the shortest possible time.
“We equally wish and call on Mr. President to take seriously and bring to book personalities mentioned in the report of Dr. Steven Davies, if doing so will help in bringing the Boko Haram insurgency to an end, as Nigeria is superior and better than any person in the country,” Gunda added.
THISDAY gathered that the troops were able to repel the attack by the Boko Haram insurgents with the assistance of air raids on Bama by the Nigerian Air Force.
In order to gain the upper hand, the military had advised residents to vacate the town to enable the air force bombard the insurgents who were bent on taking over the military barracks in Bama, but were forced back by the superior fire power of the military.
Also, confirming the non-capture of Bama, the Deputy Governor of Borno State, Zannah Umar Mustapha, yesterday said Bama had not fallen into the hands of the Boko Haram terrorist group, insisting that the military was in full control of the security situation in the town.
He made the statement at a press briefing on Bama and various parts of the state at the Government House, Maiduguri.
He revealed that the attempted attack on Bama had left over 2,000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) who are presently in Maiduguri, and had been resettled at the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp and Government Girls Secondary School (GGSS), Maiduguri.
“The attack on Bama town yesterday (Monday) was very unfortunate, but I want to reassure our people that government is on top of the situation. Already, those in the camp are being taken care of and our security forces are engaging the insurgents in a fierce battle which is worthy of commendation,” Mustapha said.
He also appealed to the people to desist from spreading false information or creating unnecessary tension among themselves and society.
Speaking on the displaced persons, Mustapha said: “Due to the rising number of displaced persons, another camp has been established at GGSS, Maiduguri to accommodate a maximum of 3,000 persons. In these camps, government has provided basic amenities to make their stay comfortable.
“Currently in all these camps, including the ones at Madagali, Uba and Mubi in Adamawa State, people enjoy three square meals, healthcare services and hostels for their accommodation, until the security situation improves for them to return to their respective towns, communities and villages.”
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org