Ceasefire: Boko Haram Says Govt is Deceiving the People, Abducts 45 Girls in Madagali
The hope of cessation of hostilities despite an earlier ceasefire agreement reportedly entered into by the insurgents and federal government was further sealed with the recent attack of the insurgents Waga Mongoro village, Madagali where they abducted about 45 girls.
Local sources disclosed that the insurgents stormed the town early Tuesday morning chanting anti-government slogans, stating that the government was deceiving the people on the ceasefire claims.
The Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh had announced last week that the military has agreed a ceasefire deal with Boko Haram.
But the announcement was immediately followed by a strings of attacks by the sect in Borno and Adamawa States, where at least 30 persons were killed.
The sect reportedly entered into Waga Mangoro, sandwiched between Gwoza town of Borno State and Madagali town of Adamawa State, where they launched the attack, burning down the whole town after they carried off food items, animals and household utensils belonging to the residents.
One of the displaced person from the area, who is currently taking refuge in Yola, the state capital, that a relative of his, who is currently trapped in the bush, told him that he heard the insurgents disowning the ceasefire agreement the sect reportedly reached with the federal government, adding that the insurgents were insistent on foisting Sharia law on Nigerians.
“When they struck, we heard them chanting anti-government slogans to the effect that they were not party to any ceasefire agreement and that the government was on a mission to deceive the people,” my trapped relative told me.
Another source said when they came into the town, they rounded up about 45 girls and uploaded them into some trucks they came with. They also carried off foodstuff, household items and domestic animals before razing our houses,” he said.
When contacted via phone, the chairman of Madagali Local Government of Adamawa State, James Abawu Watharda, said he could neither confirm nor deny the report as he had since lost contact with the people of the area, adding that the areas had been deserted by the people for a long time.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org