Jonathan Calls To Congratulate Buhari

It has been reported that President Goodluck Jonathan has called his major challenger and the likely-winner of the 2015 presidential election, Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress, APC to congratulate him.

According to a source, the president spoke with Muhammadu Buhari on the phone and will address the country after rounding off his meeting with his cabinet.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Fayose Praises Buhari, Urges Nigerians to Accept Election Results

The Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has urged Nigerians to accept the outcome of Saturday’s presidential election in good faith, saying; “the election result is the will of God and Nigerians, and all lovers of peace, progress and development of Nigeria must accept it”.

Mr. Fayose, in a statement by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, hailed the resilience and commitment of President Goodluck Jonathan and Mohammadu Buhari.

The governor said the election results should not been seen as victory or loss for any political party, adding that, “To me, Nigerians and democracy won.”

He praised Nigerians for believing in the democratic process, adding that “by this election, Nigerians have shown that Democracy has come to stay in the country”.

The governor said, “I salute Nigerians, especially the great people of Ekiti State.

“I salute President Jonathan for laying the most solid foundation for democracy in Nigeria. And I salute Major General Buhari for being a resilience and dogged fighter.

“I urge Nigerians, irrespective of their ethic, religious and political affiliation to respect the outcome of the election in the interest of peace, progress and development of the country.

“Nigeria as a country is greater than any individual or group and it is my plea that no one should do anything to rock the boat of peace in the country.”

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Military Commander Detained In Benin for Refusing to Co-operate with PDP

The Commanding Officer, 195 Battalion (Rear) Major M. S. Adamu has been arrested and detained at the Headquarters of 4 Brigade officers’ Mess in Benin for refusing to cooperate with the Peoples Democratic party (PDP), Board of TrusteesT (BoT) Chairman, Tony Anineh.

Tony Anenih had reportedly ordered Major Adamu to use his boy to provide cover for the rigging of the votes in Edo State, an act he refused but landed him into trouble.

He was detained on the orders of the Commander, 4 Brigade Army, Brig General Laleye for not taking orders.

Details later…

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

For Five Days, Jonathan Didn’t Know Morocco Has Withdrawn Its Ambassador from Nigeria – Soyinka

n an interview with the Uk Guardian, Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka painted the sorry picture of a helpless President Jonathan who is ostensibly surrounded by aides holding him captive.

Soyinka said until he told Jonathan about what was turning out to be an embarrassing diplomatic spat between Morocco and Nigeria, the President didn’t know that the Moroccans had recalled their ambassador from Nigeria over a telephone conversation that never was. The Moroccan royal palace said the king had declined a request for a phone conversation, while Nigeria insisted that the two leaders had spoken at length. Nigeria later backed down and admitted the conversation did not happen, wrote the Guardian.

“Here is a situation where a president did not even know that a foreign country, a friendly country, had withdrawn its ambassador from Nigeria. I was the one who told him. He jumped up as if his seat was on fire. I couldn’t believe it … He was not aware that for about five days the media had been absolutely hysterical with this embarrassing situation between the two. It was that very night that he made a public statement about it for the first time”, Soyinka recalls.

“So when I say that there is a force around, I know what I’m talking about. There is a very sinister force in control and it is that sinister cabal which is responsible for caging him in and showing him what they think he should know about and keeping away from him things which are not in their interest, and this for me is the most dangerous situation that any nation can be in.”

The man of letters also said the ongoing general elections have become a shamble and the build up, an embarrassing spectacle.

“Most expensive, most prodigal, wasteful, senseless, I mean really insensitive in terms of what people live on in this country,” Soyinka continued. “This was the real naira-dollar extravaganza, spent on just subverting, shall we say, the natural choices of people. Just money instead of argument, instead of position statements.

“And of course the sponsoring of violence in various places, in addition to this festive atmosphere in which every corner, every pillar, every electric pole is adorned with one candidate or the other, many of them in poses which remind one of Nollywood.

“I get a feeling sometimes that some of these candidates were just locked in their wardrobes and they were told: ‘Just take selfies in there and don’t come out until you’ve finished the entire wardrobe.’ All kinds of postures. Just ridiculous. It has been an embarrassing exercise in terms of electioneering,” Soyinka said.

You can read the full interview here. 

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

PDP Chairman Adamu Mu’azu Deletes Tweet Claiming That PDP Is Leading In 23 States

The chairman of the Peoples Democratic party (PDP), Adamu Mu’azu deleted a tweet where he claimed that the party is leading the presidential election in 23 states.

Mu’azu in a number tweets via his twitter handle @Muazuaa, had two hours ago said “As we speak now, we are winning in 23 states and we have 64 percents while APC is winning in 14 states and has 36 percent- PDPPCO”. But soon after the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC), Attahiru Jega countered the claim by the Director of Publicity of the PDP campaign, Femi Fani-Kayode that no election result has been released, Mu’azu quickly deleted the tweet from his timeline.

Jega, while speaking at a press conference at the International Conference Centre in Abuja responded to the question by a journalist asking if it is true that the PDP is leading in 23 states as claimed by Fani-Kayode.

READ: Fani-Kayode Lied, PDP Not Leading In 23 States, Says Jega

Fortunately, we made a screen shot of the tweet before Mu’azu decided to deleted it from his twitter account.

See screen shot below:

xxx

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

INEC Office Set Ablaze in Rivers

Report reaching us indicates that the office of the Independent National Electoral Commissions (INEC) in Emohua local government area has been set ablaze by unknown political thugs.

It was gathered that the building located at Emohua, the council headquaters which houses the electoral body was Sunday morning engulf in fire.

The development may not be unconnected with the alleged irregularities opined by the All Progressives Congress, APC during Saturday’s election in the state.

As at press time, none of the election results has been announced.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

NSA Dasuki Summons Head of Security Agencies Over Presidential Election

Report reaching us indicates that the National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki has summoned all head of security agencies to a crucial meeting.

The head of the security agencies summoned to the meeting includes that of the Nigerian Immigration Service, Nigerian Prisons Service, Nigeria Customs service amongts others.

The meeting is a follow up to the earlier one held between President Goodluck Jonathan, Vice President Namadi Sambo, Senate President David Mark, the NSA, Sambo Dasuki and the service chiefs.

Abusidiqu has reported that the earlier meeting was meant to review the results of the ongoing presidential and National Assembly election with a view to inflating the results of the president.

READ: Jonathan, Sambo, David Mark Meet With Service Chiefs and NSA, New Plans To Rig Exposed!

It is not immediately clear what the meeting between the NSA and the head of security agencies is meants to achieve.

Details later…

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Jonathan, Sambo, David Mark Meet With Service Chiefs and NSA, New Plans To Rig Exposed!

Reports reaching us indicate that President Jonathan, Vice President Namadi Sambo and Senate President David Mark met with the Service Chiefs and the National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki.

They reviewed the election and decided not to accept the results after reviewing same. They considered a first option of inflating President Jonathan’s scores in the South-South and South-East. They have ordered soldiers to seal off the International Conference Centre, Abuja which is the collation centre for the presidential elections.

Results from the South-South and the South-East remain unavailable as at press time while numbers have been pouring from other parts of the country.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Why Card Readers Malfunctioned- INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Sunday said one of the reasons the card readers deployed for Saturday’s presidential and parliamentary elections failed was because its officials failed to remove the protective film on the lens of the equipment.

Some of the devices failed to read the biometric data of voters who turned up to perform their civic duties at various polling stations across the country.

President Goodluck Jonathan was one of those unable to get accreditation with the electronic device when he turned up at his Unit 13 polling station in his hometown in Otuoke, Bayelsa State, to vote. For more than half an hour the electoral officials at the unit battled unsuccessfully to get the president accredited.

Despite about four of the devices deployed to ensure that the president and his wife were accredited, he still ended up being accredited manually to vote during the exercise after being issued the INEC incidence form.

But, speaking on Sunday in Abuja in a television programme to review the conduct of the exercise, Kayode Idowu, the spokesperson to the INEC Chairman, Attahiru Jega, admitted that reports that the devices may have failed to function as a result of the non-removal of the protective film on the face of the lens of the card reader may have been true.

“We (INEC) received reports that some of the card readers may have failed to function, because officials that handled the devices may have failed to remove the protective film covering on the face of lens,” he said.

He said the film may have blocked the lens of the card reader, making it difficult for it to read the biometric data in the permanent voters cards presented by voters for scanning”, Mr. Idowu added.

The spokesperson, who admitted this was not the only flaw identified in the new electoral process deployed during the election, said the Commission had taken note of the challenges and would effect corrections in subsequent elections to ensure that the exercise was more credible and acceptable.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

Bomb Scare in Daura, Buhari’s Home Town

There have been a bomb scare in Daura, hometown of the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammadu Buhari, report reaching Abusidiqu indicates.

Panic began when at about 11:30am on Sunday, a middle age woman wearing the Islamic hijab dropped a black polythene bag suspected of containing explosive devices around kofar Musa roundabout in Daura.

Her action sent passersby running into safety as soon as she was sighted, thereby causing serious panic amongst residents of the area.

It was however discovered that the polythene bag she dropped at the roundabout does not contain any bomb devices as suspected.

Soldiers where quickly drafted to the area who upon approaching the woman discovered she was suffering from a heart problem and then decided to rest at the roundabout.

What drew the suspicion of passerby was that the held the bag while seated, but left it at the roundabout after she decided to proceed on her walk.

A military source who spoke to Abusidiqu confirmed the development, but added that the situation has been brought under control and everyone going about their normal duties.

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]

I Warned Jonathan against Boko Haram Ceasefire, Chad’s President Opens Up

President Idris Deby of Chad has spoken publicly about the 2014 botched ceasefire between the Nigerian government and the jihadist group, Boko Haram, which he was said to have facilitated.

Mr. Deby said he warned President Goodluck Jonathan against holding talks with the militant group, saying the whole episode was orchestrated by Boko Haram to buy time and regroup.

He said President Jonathan dismissed the advice and held talks with the group, a decision Mr. Deby said was for political reasons. He accused Mr. Jonathan of downplaying the Boko Haram threat.

“I told President Goodluck not to open negotiations with terrorists … but it was a political choice,” Mr. Deby told French magazine, Le Point, in an interview republished by AFP news agency.

“It has become something too serious for Nigerians to ignore. The blood of the dead that we have been counting every day for the past few years demands attention.”

The October ceasefire humiliated the Nigerian government after it claimed to have reached a deal with the insurgents, who are responsible for more than 15,000 deaths.

At the time, the Nigerian military said the talks were credible and directed its field commanders to immediately suspend hostilities against Boko Haram.

The talks were reportedly facilitated by Mr. Deby, accused earlier of providing safe haven for Boko Haram militants.

Shortly after the announcement, Boko Haram continued its attacks, sacking villages and killing innocent people.

The Nigerian government initially claimed splinter groups of the sect were responsible for the continued fighting, but later blamed the failure on sabotage.

Mr. Deby said President Jonathan and his military had underestimated Boko Haram for too long.

“The whole world is asking why the Nigerian army, which is a big army… is not in a position to stand up to untrained kids armed with Kalashnikovs,” he said.

Speaking about the ongoing war that involves Chad, Niger and Cameroun, Mr. Deby said the Nigerian military has not cooperated with his country in fighting the jihadists.

He said the two sides have not had any direct contact since Chad became involved in the conflict.

“Two months after the start of this war, we have not had any direct contact with the Nigerian army units on the ground,” he said.

“We would have hoped to have at least one Nigerian unit with us. It was even a direct request to the Nigerian government, but for reasons that escape us, up to now we have been unable to work together.”

He said his country has had to capture territories twice in Nigeria, as the Nigerian military would not take over towns, allowing Boko Haram to return.

“The Chadian army is fighting alone in its part of the Nigerian interior and that is a problem. We have had to retake certain towns twice,” Mr. Deby said. “We are forced to abandon them and Boko Haram returns, and we have to go back. That has a human and material cost.”

Mr. Deby said Boko Haram has long been trained by ISIS in Libya, and that the group’s recent public declaration of allegiance was a mere formality that did not surprise him.

“(IS) has always trained young people from Boko Haram in the use of explosives, the use of heavy weapons and armoured vehicles. They are trained by (IS) in Libya… and are then sent to Nigeria,” he told Le Point.

“I’m not surprised that (Boko Haram leader) Abubakar Shekau, who has difficulties at the moment… is trying to make people believe that he only just made contact with them.”

[easy-social-share buttons="facebook,twitter" counters=0 style="button"]