Benue killings: FG To Deploy Security Operatives, Says Ortom
Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, has assured residents of the state of President Muhammadu Buhari’s commitment to deploy security operatives to end the serial killings in some communities in the state.
Ortom said this while addressing journalists in Makurdi, on Wednesday, in the wake of protests by angry youths in the state.
Recall that dozens of farmers have been killed, allegedly by herdsmen, in some communities in Guma and Logo Local Government Areas of the state, forcing many to flee their homes.
Leader of the protesters, Orngu Angu had insisted that the protests would continue except President Muhammadu Buhari sets up a Military Task Force within twenty four hours to guarantee the safety of lives and property of the people from activities of the herdsmen.
Governor Ortom, had meanwhile, urged the people of the state to remain calm in the face of what he described as an obvious provocation, even as he called for the arrest of some of their leaders.
The Governor called for the arrest of the leaders of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, who he said, threatened to invade the state, last year, as those responsible for the current killings in the state.
He insisted that they be arrested for making inciting statements concerning the open grazing prohibition and ranches establishment law and for allegedly carrying out their threats.
However, he explained that actions carried out in anger against the killings were bound to complicate the situation and cautioned the people to “avoid taking the law into their own hands as two wrongs cannot make a right”.
Governor Ortom said he appreciated the pains which the people of the state were passing through, especially families of the victims, pointing out that he had informed the President about the development and was awaiting for a positive response.