Army Fires GOC Attacked By Soldiers Convicted for Mutiny
The Nigerian military on Monday tried 18 soldiers said to have fired shots at the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7th Division in Maiduguri in protest of what they said is the ill treatment they face in their fight against the Boko haram sect.
At the end of the process, 12 of them were sentenced to death by firing squad, one of them commuted to imprisonment while the other five were discharged.
But latest development indicates that the soldiers are not the only one that will bear the brunt of their action as the GOC they shot at, Maj. Gen. Abubakar Mohammed has also been made to face his own side of the bargain.
According report by Punch, the Military authorities have retired Gen. Mohammed from the Nigerian army as part of the disciplinary measures carried out by the army.
Investigations revealed that Mohammed was retired after he was recalled to the Headquarters of the Nigerian Army without posting for months after the soldiers’ attempt on his life.
It was gathered from a top military source in Abuja that the Army authorities quietly retired him last month.
The source said, “The Maj. Gen. has been retired; you don’t expect that to be made public; issues of retirement especially in the military are confidential. The man was at the Army headquarters for some time. He was awaiting posting then but he was eventually retired about a month ago.”
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to email@example.com