Another 30 Women, Girls Escape Boko Haram Captivity in Sambisa Forest
Barely three days after 63 women, girls escaped Boko Haram captivity from Sambisa Forest, the base of the deadly Islamist sect, another 30 women and children have also reportedly escaped from the camp.
The latest escape which SaharaReporters said was confirmed exclusively by a senior military officer is coming at a time the government denied knowledge of the escape of the 63 woemn and girls.
The coordinator of the National Information Centre, Abuja, Mr Mike Omeri, had on Monday stated the Federal Government has not been able to very what happened about the escape and the figures involved because it does not want to speculate.
It was however revealed that 30 of the new escapees were mostly from Borno State and were abducted in a series of attacks by the Islamist sect.
According to SaharaReporters, the military source stated that he was not in a position to comment on whether the escapees included some of the schoolgirls abducted by the Islamist terrorist group in a daring operation on April 14 that shocked the world and created global protests for the girls’ return or rescue.
The officer said the latest batch of women and children who escaped from their abductors appeared in Madagali local government area of Adamawa State after wandering through forests for days. The location where the escapees showed up is a border area between Adamawa and Borno States.
He described the escaped women and children as distressed, disoriented and famished, adding, however, that they were relieved to have regained freedom.
James Watarda, the chairman of the Madagali local government area, also confirmed reports about the escapes.
It was revealed that the women and children had been rushed to an undisclosed hospital where doctors and other medical staff are assessing their physical and mental conditions. He added that the victims had made statements about their harrowing experiences at the hands of their Islamist abductors in the forest. “They have talked about how some of them who were trying to escape were killed and some forced back when armed Boko Haram militants discovered them escaping.”
The officer added that some of the escapees had to leave their little children behind when they fled.
The military source stated that the recent escape of kidnapped victims indicated that Boko Haram was losing ground and control in the face of improved intelligence gathering and armed attacks by the Nigerian Army.
Do not hesitate to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
To contact Abusidiqu.com for Article Submission and Advertisement or General inquiry, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org