The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has disclosed that since the inaugural flight of the 2017 operations on July 31, it has so far airlifted more than 44,767 (68%) out of the 65, 601 of this year’s intending pilgrims.
Commissioner of Operations of the commission, Abdullahi Modibbo, who stated this during a press conference in Abuja on Saturday, the airlift of the remaining 20,834 (34%) would be completed in due course.
He said: “Max Air will end its operation by 25th of this month. Medview and Fly-Nas will end their operations on 21st and 26th of August respectively. Time has gone when Nigeria asks Saudi Arabia for extension of time to complete the airlift.
“Also, as soon as Hajj rites are completed, our pilgrims will start coming back. To be precise, our pilgrims will start returning home by September 7 2017 and it shall be a first-come, first-served basis.”
Concerning some overzealous pilgrims who spend days at the airport before being called, the commissioner said intending pilgrims would be notified six to seven hours before the departure time, so there is no cause for alarm.
He therefore called on the remaining intending pilgrims to calm down and wait for their turn.